302 - No More Fluff, Please
Episode Title: No More Fluff, Please
Is your organization treating its younger workers like the professionals they are? Here are some questions to find out, coming up next on The Perna Syndicate.
Ep 302 show:
Welcome—you are now in The Perna Syndicate! Yesterday we talked about a new study that found younger workers prefer feeling respected over having fun at work.
As the labor market continues to tighten in the U.S., employers can’t attract and retain young talent with promises of a playful work environment. Younger workers can actually find such gestures condescending. They’re adults, after all, and they want to make a difference through their work—not just play ping-pong.
So, how do you know if there’s any fluff in how your organization treats younger professionals? Managers and teams must ask themselves:
- Are younger workers given responsibility that matches their skills?
- Are they given “stretch assignments” and the resources to achieve them?
- Do they have a clear roadmap to advance in the organization?
- Do they have a larger vision and purpose for their work?
- Is their voice being heard in the issues that affect them in the workplace?
- And finally, how is the organization investing in its younger workforce?
Even though they may mean well, companies that don’t recognize the true potential of their younger workers will misunderstand them. Such organizations may even alienate this generation by failing to respect their contribution.
No more fluff, please. As we said yesterday, young people want to feel respected before they return that respect. Treating them like professionals is a big step in the right direction.
So why do some in the older generations struggle so much with the idea of giving young people respect before they’ve “earned” it? Let’s tackle that question on tomorrow’s episode of The Perna Syndicate. See you then!